Telefónica is a Spanish multinational telecommunications company headquartered in Madrid, Spain.It is one of the largest telephone operators and mobile network providers in the world. It provides fixed and mobile telephony, broadband and subscription television, operating in Europe and the Americas.
As well as the Telefónica brand, it also trades as Movistar, O2 and Vivo. The company is a component of the Euro Stoxx 50 stock market index. As of May 2017, Telefónica was the 110th largest company in the world, according to Forbes.
Telefónica is a company that is aware of the new challenges posed by today’s society. This is why we offer the means to facilitate communication between people, providing them with the most secure and state of the art technology in order for them to live better, and for them to achieve whatever they resolve.
An innovative and attentive spirit with an immense technological potential that multiplies the ability to choose of its more than 344 million clients. Telefónica operate in 12 countries and has a presence in 24, with and an average of 113,819 professionals.
In January-December 2019 Telefónica had consolidated revenues of 48,422 million euros and more than 344 million total accesses, 261 million mobile phones accesses, 21 million Internet and data accesses and 8.1 million pay TV accesses.
Telefónica is a 100% listed company with more than 1.3 million shareholders, traded in several of the most important stock markets around the world.
Telefónica is a 100% listed company with more than 1.5 million direct shareholders. Its share capital currently comprises 4.563.996.485 ordinary shares traded on the Spanish Stock Market (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia) and on those in London, New York, Lima, and Buenos Aires. The five major stockholders include:
Telefónica´s commercial brands:
Telefónica is known through its commercial brands, of which Movistar, O2 and Vivo are the most well-known. These brands represent our mobile, landline, Internet and television telecommunication services to 347 million customers from several countries. Movistar is present in:
Telefónica is their institutional brand, representing us globally to employees, shareholders, institutions and suppliers. It also has several roles:
They also have several "specialist" brands focusing on specific businesses:
- Wayra is their worldwide start-up accelerator, which in just a few years has become one of the largest networks of innovation on a global scale.
- Telefónica has other mobile operator brands in several countries, including Tuenti (Argentina , Ecuador and Spain ), Giffgaff (UK), or Blau (Germany).
- Terra offers internet content and services in Spanish and Portuguese-speaking markets.
- There are companies that offer specialized services; such as IoT solutions of Smart Retail (On the Spot ), security (ElevenPaths ), big data (LUCA ) and cloud (Acens ).
- Finally, there are companies that offer services to Telefónica employees and society as a whole such as Fonditel and Pléyade .
Each of these brands have great value, due to the number of customers who trust them and their reputation in the marketplace. Our strategy is to try to build the bonds between each of them and Telefónica as an institutional brand in order to create a brand family.